InfoPoint and seat of the VMH project
In his “Notizie storiche delle chiese di Verona”, Giambattista Biancolini reconstructed, on the basis of some notarial deeds, that the current church of San Pietro Martire stands right on the foundations of the birthplace of the saint, nee Pietro Rosini (1205-1252), that some benefactors bought and then donated to the Dominicans of the monastery of Sant’Anastasia.
The cornerstone of the church was placed in 1656 and, a statue of the saint, previously kept in the house, was put above the portal. In a niche, on the left altar, there is another wooden statue by an unknown 16th-century sculptor that represents Peter with his head gashed open by an axe, the martyrdom to which he was convicted for fighting heretics.
In 1809 the church was included in the Napoleonic suppressions and was then used for other purposes, for example as a bell foundry between 1827 and 1860. In 1861 the building was restored and reopened to worship, as the epigraph on the counter-façade recalls. The last restoration dates back to 2006-2007.