The first Eucharesty
Built in the early 10th century and remodelled in the baroque period, the church stands on the steps of the Roman Theatre cavea. The decision to build it on the remains of the theatre and its dedication to Saint Syrus is to be attributed to an 8th-century document, that identified Saint Syrus with the child who had given Jesus the five loaves and the two fish for the miracle of the feeding of the multitude (John 6, 1-12). Once an adult, St. Syrus had been sent by Saint Peter to evangelise the Po Valley and, on the road to Pavia, he had stopped in Verona. Here, near the Roman Theatre, the Saint had celebrated the first Eucharist, in the year 50 AD.
The Confraternity of the Most Holy Body of Christ, founded in 1517, established their seat in the exact place where, according to tradition, the first Eucharist was celebrated, Saint Syrus’s cave. Many artisans and some of the most prestigious Veronese artists belonged to the Confraternity, and they often offered their skills or donated their works to embellish the church. In the mid 19th century, the church was spared from the demolition planned within the project for the recovery of the Roman Theatre, that was concluded only at the beginning of the 20th century.
Through the memory of the first Eucharist, this Veronese place reminds us of the Last Supper, that Jesus celebrated in Jerusalem.