The church of the two towers
Located along the ancient Via Postumia, the church of San Lorenzo is characterised by large tribunes – or upper galleries – above the side aisles; two round staircase towers in the façade give access to the upper floor. The church is already mentioned in the Early Middle Ages, but what we see today is the result of a 12th century renovation. From an architectural point of view this is a one-of-a-kind church in Italy and in Europe. It underwent different changes during the ages, only to be returned to its original appearance in the 19th century. San Lorenzo testifies to the vivacity of Veronese sanctity: it was in this church that St. Magdalene of Canossa was baptised in 1774, and San Giovanni Calabria, who for a period had lived in the church’s upper galleries with his mother and brothers, celebrated his first Mass in 1901.