An Agostinian monastery and devotion to St. Euphemia
In the 13th century, the Scaligeri, the ruling family of Verona, granted the Augustinians the right of use of a small Romanesque church located near the Via Postumia. The original building was later replaced by a larger church, consecrated in 1331, and its adjoining monastery. According to records of the time, Dante Alighieri was housed in the monastery guesthouse and among the works held in the library, there was probably the manuscript of the lecture Quaestio de Aqua et Terra, which the poet had presented in the church of S. Elena in 1320.
The church preserves valuable paintings by artists such as Caroto, Brusasorzi, Farinati, Cignaroli. The devotion to the Archangels and the Virgin Mary is celebrated by frescoes and paintings; the Madonna della Salute is one of the most revered images in Verona.
According to tradition, St. Euphemia was martyred under Diocletian in Calcedony (present-day Turkey) in 303.